Thursday, October 11, 2012

National Coming Out Day--Today!


Reconciling UM's in NE :  Coming out day is almost here :  see NE RUM events on Facebook :  Nebraska Statewide Reconciling Network

Interfaith Rally at Omaha First UMC :  Oct 11 on Coming out day!   See Omaha First or Omaha PFLAG for details!

Spirit day is coming Oct 19 :   tell your friends, folks at church and work!  Wear purple and urge our candidates to wear purple : read the story why from GLAAD!    Maureen and Wendy, Social network contaccts, PRN contacts, Main Email contacts, Local RMN contacts in NE

Sign up to be an RUM or Reconciling United methodist today for Coming out day!   go towww.RMNetwork.org today!  Sign up and Sign on!

***************************************************
From GLAAD today:  visit their website, facebook and more!  Also Human Rights campaign, Soulroce, Church within a church and RMN or Reconciling Ministries network :  collaborate with other groups and start a support group in your town or area!


Tell the presidential candidates to join millions by wearing purple on Spirit Day

I'm Katy Butler. You might know me from my work to change the  rating of the documentary Bully to PG-13 so more young people could see it. Now  I’m asking President Obama and Governor Romney to take a stand against  bullying.

Once, when I was in 7th grade, a few guys came up behind me  while I was putting my books in my locker. They called me names and asked me  why I even bothered to show my face at school because no one wanted to go to  school with a lesbian. When I went to leave, they pushed me against the wall.  Then they slammed my locker shut on my hand, breaking my finger. I held back  tears while I watched them run away laughing. I didn’t tell anyone because I  didn’t know whom I could talk to about being gay.

This was long before the start of Spirit Day, and before it felt like our  society really started taking bullying seriously.


I, and kids just like me, have spent years of our lives afraid  to say anything about bullying, because there was no effort to publicly show  support for us. I've been there. I felt like no one cared. I felt alone and we all need to work to ensure that LGBT young people don’t  feel that way any more.  




Katy Butler
Spirit Day Ambassador and Anti-Bullying Advocate

glaad.org/blogThis message was sent by GLAAD (Gay & Lesbian Alliance Against Defamation)
5455 Wilshire Blvd, #1500, Los Angeles, CA 90036 | (323) 933-2240
Read  our privacy policy. If you no longer wish to receive GLAAD emails, you can click here to change your email preferences..
GLAAD is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization that depends on  your support. If you are a member, please accept our thanks. If you would like  to support our important work, please visit  our website.

No comments:

Post a Comment