Thursday, May 17, 2012

Remembering Walter Wink


See you this summer :  Cather Conference end of May :  www.willacather.org ,
Queen's birthday june 9 kearney for NAP Kearney (info from Andrew at NAP : andrewb@nap.org :  
NE MFSA dinner May 5 Lincoln; contact Susan Davies, Soul Desires bookstore Omaha
Special Offering for UM Global AIDS fund June 7 at 8:30 am worship, St marks UMC Lincoln;
HIV AIDS Table and Reconciling table at St marks UMC :  june 6 - 9 Lincoln; 
Reconciling Birthday Bash Lunch :  June 8 noon, Dinos Lincoln, RSVP to Liz : lizabethjoan@aol.com
Pride events this summer! 
Special event August in KS for Reconciling : go to Facebook for more info :  search - Nebraska Stateiwide Reconciling Network : 
New Facebook for NE : UM Global AIDS Fund and more!  www.RMNetwork.org

Thanks to Church Within a Church for publishing this!   See news on General Conference on the RMN website Become a Reconciling UM today : www.RMNetwork.org 
 
peace maureen vetter and wendy smith
PS give to summer email offering :  write a check to RMN and send to Maureen Vetter, 4422 drake lane, grand island, NE 6880l  : she will send on to RMN offices as our yearly commitment from NE statewide reconciling network!   WE are at $240 now and hope to get to $500!   Donors will be listed later this summer and into fall!  thanks!


  
The Church Within A Church Movement is very sad to learn that Walter Winkwalter wink passed, Thursday May 10, 2012.
  
Please read this reflection on the blog of the Fellowship of Reconciliation:http://forusa.org/blogs/richard-deats/walter-wink-presente/10545

From Annie Britton: "I will never forget Walter running and dancing playfully through the pews at Chicago Theological Seminary during his nonviolent direct action lecture --- the weekend in Chicago when we presented Greg Dell with the Gil Caldwell Justice Award. He truly "enlivened" scripture for us, as I know he had done so many times in classes and seminars. A man of conviction and grace, truth and justice. Such a one will be deeply missed, especially at a time when his words of love, grace, and inclusion are so needed."

From Gil Caldwell: " I have long been a fan of Walter Wink. I will not forget hearing him for the first time at the Chicago CWAC event. His management of his illness, gave me new incentive to manage my own." 

June Wink's Candle



June and family; our thoughts and prayers are with you. We are so grateful we had our time with you and Walter in 2009. My version of this light (made by June) is burning on my desk
in remembrance of a life lived well. Walter made a difference in our world.
On behalf of the CWAC Movement's Coordinating Team, members and friends, cathy knight.









CWAC logo JL 2010

"A progressive Methodist-related Movement dedicated to BEing the fully inclusive church"
 
save the date banner
 SAVE THE DATE!


October 19-21, 2012  Chicago, IL

"The Church Within A Church Movement:
Celebrating 10 year of Faith, Hope and Justice"


Make plans to celebrate with CWAC Movement Members and
friends from across the country.


Stay tuned for more information!


Orange



Like us on Facebook


Is the Church Within A Church Movement for you?
Visit our website at:www.cwac.us

CWAC logo JL SOLOIMage  

BECOME A MEMBEROF CWAC!
Join with others to make a path to justice and inclusion.
  
CWAC logo JL SOLOIMage

Write your testimony of the CWAC Movement HERE.
  
CWAC logo JL SOLOIMage 

Renew your 2012
CWAC Movement Membership HERE.

 CWAC logo JL SOLOIMage 


The CWAC Movement is BEing the fully inclusive and just church.

     www.cwac.us


What we've been doing lately:

"JustChurch" Lawrence
March, 2012

"JustChurch" Tampa
May 1, 2012


 Let's talk about a "JustChurch" event in your community!

CWAC logo JL SOLOIMage 
Community Conference
Calls!
  
The first Monday of the Month. Join with CWAC Movement Members to talk Faith,
Hope and Justice.

Not yet a Member?



CWAC logo JL SOLOIMage 


Support this Justice Ministry

 






CWAC logo JL SOLOIMage 

Like us on Facebook 


 
Follow us on Twitter


REFLECTIONS for the JOURNEY:

May Reflection: Faith, Hope and Justice

It's been two weeks since I participated in"JustChurch" Tampa! I continue to reflect on the intersection of my life-lines; of the United Methodist Church's General Conference in Tampa, my leaving Florida 13 years ago, and my return to Florida on behalf of the Church Within A Church Movement.

One of the reasons I moved away from Florida in 1999 was because I could no longer abide by the treatment I was experiencing by the church. For 18 years I attended a United Methodist Church (UMC) in a small town in south central Florida. I was closeted and never felt it would be spiritually or emotionally safe to come out. And why would I? Every year, whether in response to something in the news, the "Gay Days" at Disney World or because Annual Conference or General Conference was on the horizon, the "issue" of homosexuality was raised. In Sunday School classes and from the pulpit I was reminded that I was not accepted. One pastor, who later became a District Superintendent, preached one bright sunny morning, that I was an abomination. In that moment something deep inside shifted for me. I knew God had something more for me than being spiritually abused by some pastors of the UMC.

I moved to Chicago and my first Sunday I risked attending a United Methodist Church. I had read about this church. Pastor Greg Dell had just been on trial for participating in a holy union for two gay men. I needed to meet this pastor. My first Sunday in Chicago was Greg's last Sunday before he went on indefinite suspension. Again, something deep inside shifted for me during that service. This time, it was my liberation. 

My God-voice had been rekindled. And then the church acted out again.

In 2005 I gave up my membership in the UMC after Judicial Council ruling 1032. The ruling was related to a Gay man who was very active in his local UMC denied membership in that church because he wouldn't turn away from his "sin" of being a sexually active Gay man. That ruling was my line in the sand.

The faith I have lost in the UMC system, has been replaced by the place I have found  in the Church Within A Church Movement. And by "place" I don't mean status or responsibility. Rather, I mean a place of community. A place where I am theologically grounded in a God of love and justice. A place to call 'my church home' that honors and respects me and offers a place to live my faith, be supported in hope and work for justice. There is no hierarchy that puts up barriers or conditions. It's community being church.

And it is in that spirit that I could be back in Tampa, Florida offering myself as a witness of a fully inclusive and just  community to the United Methodists doing battle inside the convention center.

During a dinner break from the battle next door, over 50 of us gathered at "JustChurch" Tampa! We talked, ate and shared our stories. We offered a place of support and community. We were BEing Church.

Some of the 50 are already Members of the Church Within A Church Movement. Others won't join. Others have and will. Others will find a way to stay in the UMC.

My prayers are with them all.

My community is with the Church Within A Church Movement.

cathy knight
executive director
Church Within A Church Movement

Read more of our "JustChurch" Tampa activities HERE

Read IRD (a conservative ecumenical renewal group) article"Church Within A Church Movement at General Conference" 
JustChurch Tampa
cathy knight introducing speakers at "JustChurch" Tampa!
l to r: Dave Lafary, Rev. Annie Britton, Rev. DeLyn Celec. Tampa. 2012.
Read the beautiful Communion liturgy used by Annie Britton, DeLyn Celec and Sarah Celec at the Tabernacle in Tampa, HERE.
Commuion at GC 2012
Rev. Annie Britton, Sarah Celec, Rev. DeLyn Celec. Tampa. 2012.

 
The Church Within A Church Movement is a Christian Ministry of hope and life. We have roots in a Methodist tradition and are growing into an Ecumenical community that lives into our Theological statement that includes:
 
... Therefore, we are called to hold the church universal accountable to be an inclusive community.
... We stand for the celebration of the sacred worth of all persons and the rest of creation.
... We witness to God's work of breaking down the dividing walls of hostility and will co-operate with God in restoring humanity to an image that more fully reflects God's love.

The CWAC justice ministry is guided by these Working Strategies:
  • A pathway to Extraordinary Ordination for those denied ordination because of sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, inclusive progressive theology, and for people for whom ordination through CWAC would enable a liberating expression of justice ministry within a community of mutual accountability.
  • Promote progressive church plants and ministry development.
  • Break down the walls of racism, white privilege and other "isms" that divide us.
  • Provide curriculum and worship resources for the progressive, justice-seeking church.
  • Promote Ecumenical partnerships. 
 Read CWAC's full Theological Statement HERE
   

 

No comments:

Post a Comment