Saturday, April 7, 2012

CWAC newsletter


Robert  Wheeler and Sam Patterson in N Platte have two blogs that are active:
"The Bible through Artists'Eyes," at http://bibleartists.wordpress.com/; and "Love and Do Not Judge," athttp://lovejudgenot.wordpress.com/.
 
Let the stories begin with General Conference coming and -- Another year of GREAT spiritual Awakenings -  check out www.RMNetwork.org  and www.cwac.us along with MFSA for the Common Witness that will be happening at General Conference in Tampa, FLORIDA for two weeks this spring : April 24 - May 4!   Lighten the Burden IV Conference in HIV AIDS is April 23 in Tampa at Hyde UMC too!   The spirit of God is moving in our stories, in our lives and as we reach out!
 
Send your prayers,  give to Statewide Reconciling groups, MFSA groups and local reconciling groups!
Write your stories, tell your stories like Terry below :  stories change people!   We will be sharing a few stories every now and then on email!   Send your stories to our blogs, to our Facebook and more -  gather friends in Reconciling groups and share your stories, put together stories on paper, in booklets and in our hearts!  
 
Maureen Vetter and Wendy Smith, RMN Contacts for NE, PRN Contacts, Local church contacts and Main Email Contacts : Recruit youth and young adult contacts.  Remember the Jimmy Creech Scholarship is accepting nominations and let the stories begin! Celebrate your local groups and birthdays! Terry's story:
----- Original Message -----
Sent: Tuesday, March 13, 2012 8:20 AM
Subject: March Reflection: What Would My Life Be Like?

Having trouble viewing this email? Click here
CWAC logo JL 2010
"A progressive Methodist-related Movement dedicated to BEing the fully inclusive church"



Like us on Facebook


Is the Church Within A Church Movement for you?
Visit our website at:www.cwac.us


Become a  MEMBER of the CWAC Movement!
Join with others to make a path to justice and inclusion.

CWAC logo JL SOLOIMage



 Need a progressive liturgical resource?

"Celebrating Life:Liturgy That Transforms!"
 A resource from the
CWAC Movement, edited
by Rev. Vernice Thorn,
based on the writings
of Rev. Greg Dell. 

Order yours today!

"Celebrating Life" 




 Find CWAC Movement on Facebook

Like us on Facebook


























March Reflection:

What Would My Life Be Like? 
                                                    by Terry Schwennesen

Have you ever had your life pass before your eyes? They say it happens when people have near-death experiences. The other night I was watching a television show where the main character's life passed before his eyes even as a bullet was racing toward his chest. In this split moment, he had the opportunity to see how his life would have turned out differently had he made different decisions at certain pivotal points in his life. Ah, the wonders of television, that we might be able to see how making different choices in our past would have affected our future.
I must admit that the program set me to wondering about how my own life's decisions had affected my future and the future of my loved ones. In a moment of self-reflection, I thought about how some of the decisions I've made have led me to where I am today. I wondered what my life would be like now had those decisions been different. If anyone had ever asked me 25 years ago what my life would be like in 2012, I'm not sure that I would ever have been able to dream-up what is now my current reality. And I am thankful.
I thought about how most of the really pivotal decisions in my life were made during difficult and emotional times of crisis, upheaval and sometimes, fear. It was at those times that I summoned up the courage to strike out in a new direction. I guess that makes sense, though. It's human nature: If all seems to be going well for us in the status quo, we're not as inclined to come out of our comfort zones and initiate change. As I reflected on it, I realized that some of the best life changing decisions I ever made took place under some of the worst circumstances I ever encountered.
I'm a member of the Church Within A Church Movement. The Church Within A Church Movement was formed about 10 years ago. It was born out of times of crisis and upheaval in the United Methodist Church. Its founders made a pivotal decision to strike out in a new direction - a direction that rejected unjust systems of oppression in the United Methodist Church - a direction that was not focused on pursuing legislative change from within the church, but rather, was focused on Being fully inclusive and just now, and providing pathways to ordination and resources for those oppressed and rejected by the church.
Had I not been an object of that oppression and rejection in 2006, I might never have sought out the Church Within A Church Movement. It was at that time that my partner, a local pastor in the United Methodist Church, made a pivotal decision that she must speak the truth about us and our marriage. She could no longer live with the damage that a "don't ask, don't tell" regime engenders. Within hours of speaking the truth, she was removed from her position and prevented from having any contact with her congregation. From that day forward, she was to be excluded from ordained ministry in the UMC. What she did took tremendous courage, honesty and integrity.
Because of that event, I no longer felt at home in the UMC, even though I had called it my church home for my entire life. Though no member of any UMC congregation to which I've belonged has ever been unkind to me, I found it more and more difficult to be associated with a church where the Discipline states that who I am is, "incompatible with Christian teachings".  
I count my decision to become a member of the Church Within A Church Movement as one of the best decisions I have ever made. Immediately, I was celebrated for who I am. I was among the rejected and the outcast and those choosing another way of BEing church and found that I was not alone. Being a member of this community has strengthened my resolve to dismantle all forms of oppression, whether it be sexism, heterosexism, racism or any other "ism" that prevents me from authentically following the ways of Jesus.   It has helped to draw me out of my own isolation and to value my own worth. In this Movement, we have the opportunity to create a new way of being Christian community without the oppressive systems and hierarchy of the church. As a result, my horizons are expanding, I understand that I need to do my own work to dismantle oppression, and I'm learning and growing in ways that I might never have realized had I not taken this path. I am truly thankful. 
Where would I be now if those courageous founders had not decided to start this Movement?   What would my life be like? How will the decisions we're making now as a Movement affect the future? How would the future be changed if I had the courage to come out of my comfort zone, take an active part in this Movement, and BE the change I hope to see in the world? How would the future be changed if everyone reading this did exactly that?   I have great hope for this Movement, for me, and for you.
terry schwennesen
Terry Schwennesen

Terry Schwennesen
Co-convener of the national Coordinating Team
Co-leader Anti-Racism Work Area
Legally married to Rev. Annie Britton.


SAVE the DATE:

The Church Within A Church Movement celebrates its 10th Anniversary this year!

October 19-21, 2012. Chicago.

More coming - stay tuned!

 
 
The Church Within A Church Movement is a Christian Ministry of hope and life. We have roots in the Methodist church and are growing into an Ecumenical community that lives into our Theological statement that includes:
 
We believe in a loving God, who blesses all creation as good.

We believe that the nature and purpose of God are disclosed in Jesus Christ, who comes among us as One filled with grace - teaching, expressing love, and above all caring for those who have been rejected.
 
... Therefore, we are called to hold the church universal accountable to be an inclusive community.
... We stand for the celebration of the sacred worth of all persons and the rest of creation.
We witness to God's work of breaking down the dividing walls of hostility and will co-operate with God in restoring humanity to an image that more fully reflects God's love.

The CWAC justice ministry is guided by these Working Strategies:
  • Provide a pathway to ordination for those who choose to be ordained by CWAC and for those denied in the United Methodist Church because of sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or progressive and inclusive theology.
  • Promote progressive church plants and ministry development.
  • Break down the walls of racism, white privilege and other "isms" that divide us.
  • Provide curriculum and worship resources for the progressive, justice-seeking church.
  • Promote Ecumenical partnerships. 
 Read CWAC's full Theological Statement HERE
   

 
            Is the Church Within A Church Movement for you?

Become a MEMBER!  





No comments:

Post a Comment