Wednesday, October 27, 2010

GI Editorial from Brian (THANKS!)

Need to end violence against gays

I am writing this letter in regard to the illustration in the Oct. 6 Grand Island Independent newspaper. The illustration depicted a person being pushed out a window by several hands that represented cyber bullying. Near the window was a letter. I interpret this as a representation of a person's suicide. Personally I feel sickened by the lack of honor, respect and dignity in this drawing. I have seen The Independent newspaper give generous and respectful coverage of military and accidental deaths, I commend them on this. Since there is no reason given why this person chose to end their life other than cyber bullying, I can safely assume that it is in reference to recent news events regarding several individuals committing suicide due to their attraction to the same gender. I would like to remind people that this is someone's child, sibling or spouse.

Suicide is a major issue facing this country and should not be taken so lightly. The...

For more of this story, click on or type the URL below:

http://www.theindependent.com/articles/2010/10/12/opinions/letters/doc4cb3613bbcdcc350998829.txt

No comments:

Post a Comment